Tuesday 23 August 2011

ROCKWELL SCHOOL GATE DETAILS - 80'S

Not sure how well known these features are with those of us who are not from this part of town, so thought I'd put them up on show for anyone who hasn't seen them before.
They are a couple of arty details that are part of Rockwell school's gates.
I've no idea if they have been there since day one or if they were commissioned sometime later, but these photos were taken in 1982.
I thought I spotted the Wishart Arch etched into the sail of the ship, but on closer inspection, it doesn't really match.
The plane appears to be depicted as flying through searchlights, even if one has rusted away a bit.
All going well, perhaps an ex Rockwell pupil or teacher can supply more information about them.

5 comments:

  1. Don't know if this is any help on the age of the gates but they are heritage listed (B grade whatever that means) as well as many parts of the school buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheik yer \shimmy23 August 2011 at 09:54

    I was at this school and we were never told the story behind them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to Rockwell High school..Remember seeing them but nobody seemed to know about them either.sure there a similar type thing at the primary school?...One thing that sticks in my mind is the "fish pond".lol...

    Great school though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if this is true, however I was told it used to be a poor house at one point.

    I may go research this now as its very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also went to the High school. My father went to Rocky in his youth, and his father had some connection also.

    The "new" Rockwell buildings that we all remember were built as an aspirational trade school, hence the aircraft and ship.

    ReplyDelete